Sunday, April 19, 2009

Secret Slime Lab - 5th Birthday

For the last year it has become obvious that James loves to experiment. When the topic of this year's birthday came up the idea was penguins.. the lastest interest in his stuffed animal collection. I agreed but can't say I was inspired. At some point he changes his mind to cats, which was even harder to be inspired. I came up with an idea.. a Mad Scientist Party and he thought it was great. After a little Googling the birthday site, other science websites, looking through a preschooler science book and Oriental Tradings site... I came up with a Slime Lab and several experiments. We made these Glob Blaster (looks like a Lava lamp) in a test-tube, slime and colored goo. The party was topped off with a pinata and the mentos -diet coke geyser. John and I were so excited we had a hard time narrowing it down. With the help of a font site and the birthdaypartyideas website I came up with great wording to invite kids to ooze on over to the secret slime lab. I found a slime cake recipe but couldn't do (sounded way too gross) the pudding as frosting so I opted for a simple Bundt with a drippy icing to "slime the cake" plus a little dry ice for fun. The weather did not cooperate this year, however it turned out to be a good thing. The basement became the slime lab. Parents and kids all had a blast... the best party yet. I may not be able to plan these kinds of parties forever but as long as James lets me I will. Regardless birthdays will continue to be an annual rite of passage with a ton of fun and a time to celebrate each year we have lived to the fullest and look forward to the next for more adventure and exploration of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment